I’ll Never Be Your Beast Of Burden

by Michelle on March 18, 2012

I’ve avoided certain topics. You know, the ones that create all the controversy. Religion, politics…they have no place on my blog.

Until now. As a woman, I can’t afford to NOT speak out against what is happening all around us.

Please read this article. It’s not going to make you feel good. In fact, it’s likely it will piss you off.

WE NEED TO BE PISSED OFF.

Georgia state representative Terry England compared women to livestock. TO FUCKING LIVESTOCK. To suggest that a woman be FORCED to carry a dead or dying fetus, because that’s what pregnant cows and pigs do, disturbs me in a profound way.

To FORCE a woman to be penetrated by an ultrasound probe before obtaining an abortion is such a sickening invasion. Pennsylvania, along with 11 other states are considering the option that a woman MUST have a vaginal ultrasound, which is performed by using a condom covered, 6 – 8 inch long camera, before she can obtain an abortion. I’ve had the dildo cam before, I needed the ultrasound to determine the best course of action for a medical issue. I can say, with everything I have, that it DOES feel like a violation. To REQUIRE that a women subject themselves to the dildo cam with no medical reason is just plain fucking twisted.

To allow employers access to a woman’s sex life so that they can dangle her paycheck over her head unless she behaves in a way that THEY deem moral seems so ridiculous that it can’t POSSIBLY be true. Unless we are talking about Arizona, where a bill that would do just that has been introduced.

Anyway..you read the article, so there’s no point in rehashing what you just read.

I don’t care if you are left or right. If you are a woman, these things should disturb you. They should frighten you. And if it DOESN’T bother you? Then, my sister, I have no idea how to relate to you.

Why is the right trying so hard to suppress women? And that is all this is about, the suppression and dehumanization of women.

Why are these men so afraid of us?

This is about CONTROL.

I read a lot. Stephen King is one of my all time favorite writers. But NOTHING he has written scared me more than The Handmaid’s Tale  by Margaret Atwood.

My sisters..this is where we are headed.

We need to protect ourselves.

Please educate yourselves. Pay attention to what is happening around us.

And for fuck’s sake…V O T E.

Carin March 18, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Let’s not forget the fine Indiana Representative who thinks the girl scouts promote radical ideas and lesbianism. I am going to hit the book store now to see if that book is available. Will begin reading tomorrow if it is!

Michelle March 18, 2012 at 4:36 pm

It’s a VERY good book. I read it back in the late eighties. It is very chilling.

Michelle March 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm

And yes, let’s not forget about THAT either. Wtf????

Suzanne @WorkoutNirvana March 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Good question: Why the assault on women this campaign? Because they needed something new to rally the masses. Unfortunately, it’s at half the population’s expense. So well done, sister. This needs attention.

Michelle March 18, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Thanks, Suzanne.

You know, you expect a few zealots or misogynists to pop up here and there. But this is happening on a scale large enough to make me nervous.

Carin March 18, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I was just thinking, do they get together for meetings like the Republican Party does on The Simpson’s? Dressed in robes and talking how to make their own lives better?

This election year really just seems to attack women at all angles. In Texas, the 10″ wand ultra sound is only mandatory for women seeking abortions. Even women who were victims of rape. The women keeping their children get to have regular ultrasounds. I don’t want people to turn this into an abortion debate because that’s what it’s not. It about decency towards women and their health care.

Michelle March 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Exactly..regardless of your stance on abortion, women shouldn’t have their RIGHT to be treated with decency and dignity debated.

Yodwynn March 18, 2012 at 9:35 pm

The thing about the trans-vaginal ultrasound in those cases is that it is being used as a tool to intimidate and threaten women in order to get them to give in to the will of lawmakers. Change your mind or you WILL be penetrated with a foreign object at the State’s Mandate.
That fact alone should infuriate women no matter what their stance on the abortion issue. It is a mighty slippery slope to be stepping off on.

Michelle March 18, 2012 at 9:58 pm

That is exactly what it is…what better to humiliate a woman than to violate her. And it’s the law!

Carin March 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Almost forgot the Personhood Bill which abolishes all forms of birth control and can criminalize a woman who has a miscarriage. Who thinks these things up?

Michelle March 18, 2012 at 4:51 pm

That one didn’t pass…but it’s OUT there. And they’re gonna keep pushing for it. It’s completely insane!

Carin March 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm

It saddens me that men who have awesome women in their lives agree with these idiots. The women who do I assume are on drugs.

Michelle March 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Hubs is motivated. He said that he’s never wanted to be an activist more than he does now. I’m quite proud of him.

I can’t understand how ANY woman can view these bills and NOT be horrified. Pro life and Pro choice aside…these are just all out assaults on women.

Carin March 18, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I don’t think women read the language of the bill. They see that one thing that they agree with and say “yay, this is for me” and not realizing it cause well, stupid people should read things.

1/2 price books & barnes n noble were out of the Atwood book. I will have to order on Amazon. Amazon wins again.

Deb March 18, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Unfortunately these idiots are trying to force women into being second class citizens- less than men, and not able to decide what we want to do with our own bodies. Its sick, disgusting, and absolutely scary. But the scariest part, the terrifying part, is how many women don’t know or care what is happening RIGHT NOW.

Michelle March 18, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Agreed!

Carin March 19, 2012 at 10:19 am

Aren’t we the majority in this country? And didn’t each and every one of us come into this world screaming and crying out of some woman’s vagina?

SinnerElla March 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Unfortunately, what these jockstraps fail to realize is that majority of the population happens to be female. Also unfortunately, a good portion of that population doesn’t happen to look too far into things and too many people are too lazy to actually find out the information behind what they are to vote on.
Being a woman who has had a miscarriage, I DARE any one of these motherfuckers to hold it over my head and prosecute me for murder or anything of the like. #1, there are just too many fucking times that a sperm cell and an egg cell are just not fucking compatible, therefor a fetus fails to develop properly and the uterus then begins with the process of elimination. #2, if ANY of these motherfuckers or their “health care” providers come near me or my daughter with an intra-uterine ultrasound machine without permission or honestly valid reason, I will blow the condom up while it’s in their throat and then proceed to stab them to death with that long, thin rounded tip blunt probe and see what they call it. #3, I’ve had an intra-uterine ultrasound WHILE pregnant with a healthy child and it SUCKED GIANT ROTTING GORILLA TESTICLES! No one wielding those things bothers to be gentle. IT’S NOT A FUCKING JOYSTICK, YOU CUNT! #4, I had a DNC after my miscarriage and while all 10 of the days following remain a mystery to me (probably my psyche’s way of avoiding the experience of the loss after the fact) it is not a mystery to my husband and he said it was horrible. NOTHING about losing a child is easy, especially when you were not the one to make that choice. My personal preference about abortion is just that. PERSONAL. Who are you to tell me that my opinion and preference for MY BODY and family is right or wrong? How do you decide that my life is not worthy of saving versus the life of the potential person growing (or not) inside me? How am I supposed to look at you and take you seriously when I have to wear boots and fucking waders just to stand within 100 yards of you as you projectile vomit your verbal bullshit assault in my direction and that of every female every to be subjected to your overwhelming douchebaggery?
How about this. You. Fuck off. Go home, drink your 200 year old whiskey in your dumb ass smoking jacket, perform your nightly fellatio on your overprice tobacco product you’re probably consuming via illegal gains and stay the fuck out of my vaginal affairs. (physical and figurative)
Sincerely,
One of the most violent and pissed off Hoes you will ever joyously avoid meeting, should my common sense and desire to remain free from prison remain in tact.

P.S.
You’re a fucking cocksucker, cocksucker.

Michelle March 18, 2012 at 8:46 pm

It’s SOOO not like you to hold back

You are awesome

Carin March 19, 2012 at 10:31 am

I have a fear that if something like this bill passes that abolishes D&C’s and some poor woman loses the baby in month 6, whenever asked ‘oh what are you having?’ she will have to reply “a dead baby”. Medically, that cannot be good for a human being.

SinnerElla March 18, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Oh, and real quick. Why THE FUCK do I want some douchebag to give me his fucking chickens after I’ve had to have my uterus scraped out from losing a child? Just curious. Am I missing some shiny diamond of southern fucking wives tails education that says a bunch of chickens will stop this from ever happening again or that it will help my soul heal the hole it now has in it from losing that child? WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH A FUCKING UTERUS??????????

Michelle March 18, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Stop trying to make sense of it..your head will explode..

Ara March 19, 2012 at 1:10 am

Wow!!! Honestly, I’m left speechless. I’m infuriated. I can only sit here and shake my head. I’m going to post on my blog & link to yours, if you don’t mind, about this. This is absoluately assinine and it needs to be brought to EVERY woman’s attention.

ragemichelle March 19, 2012 at 6:24 am

Please do!!!!

Carin March 19, 2012 at 10:29 am

I say we all send emails to these asswads with discussions about our periods. Nothing seems to gross a man out more than menstruation.

ragemichelle March 19, 2012 at 10:31 am

Yes…our powerful magic at that time just overwhelms them.

This is another reason I adore hubs..He’s a grownup when it comes to bodily functions. Unless it involves farts. Then he’s a child.

Lisa March 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

It seems as though our society is moving BACKWARDS instead of forwards. There are so many archaic, bigoted, crazy beliefs that make me sad.

ragemichelle March 19, 2012 at 1:25 pm

It’s insane. And while I realize that these measures are currently failing, it doesn’t mean we can rest. They’ll keep trying.

Ara March 19, 2012 at 1:08 pm

This reminds me of something that’s going on here in Utah that is kind of on the same subject. They are trying to pass a bill right now that women have to wait 72 hours after their original consultation to go through with an abortion to make sure they’ve thought it through all the way. Now, I don’t necessarily agree with abortion, but do they really thinking women haven’t thought it through before they walk in to that clinic? Thank God our Governor at least didn’t pass the law that sex-ed doesn’t need to be taught in school.

ragemichelle March 19, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I find abortion to be a sad thing. With that being said, i am 100% pro choice.

I agree..I would think that most women who walk through clinic doors to terminate a pregnancy have already thought long and hard about it.

Carin March 19, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Planned Parenthood actually has a counselor on staff to talk to women. There are cases where they will ask them to go home (especially if they feel they haven’t made up their mind).

In some states, they make a woman who’s giving up their child for adoption to spend 48 hours with the child before giving it up. Even in the cases of the adoptive parents are already chosen. They want the babies to stay with the birth mothers. Even if the birth mothers cannot care for the child.

But if the mothers try to get on govt assistance to care for the child they were strong armed to care for, then they will be enraged about being a burden to the system..blah blah blah

MS March 19, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I almost died during my second pregnancy (fortunately, I’m fine and my beautiful son is more than fine) and the cardiologist said no more babies. Because EVERY hospital in my area is now run by the Catholic church, my doctor had to perform my tubal ligation in his own surgical suite because no local hospital would allow him to do it. So, I guess the thinking is it would be best for me to either not have sex with my husband or risk leaving my 2 children without a mother. Frankly, if Catholics can’t provide needed medical services, they shouldn’t be allowed to run medical services.

These stories not only infuriate me, but I am really scared. I’m past the reproductive issues – but my daughter and other women I care about aren’t. And, if they get their way with reproductive issues, it won’t stop there. It’s frightening to see how these people view women and that they apparently have a receptive enough audience to believe expressing these opinions actually benefits them. It’s a reminder of how fragile our position remains. We do have to vote, because we could see our rights eroded away. And thank you to the men who are as outraged on our behalf – for their friends, mothers, lovers, daughters. I don’t want this to be a men v women thing ever. I just want to be treated like a “real” human being. Crazy talk, huh?

Michelle March 19, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Oh…middle sister…You’ve expressed this so much better than I did. What a great comment!

Rhonda March 20, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Ugh. I hate how many people just don’t understand what’s actually going on with all of this. Why is any of this ok? I just don’t understand the thinking here.
And as for The Handmaid’s Tale… I read it about 15 years ago, and that book STILL haunts me. I catch myself thinking of snippets here and there every once in a while.

ragemichelle March 20, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Yeah, I’ve heard the arguement that it’s blown out of proportion because these bills haven’t been passed.

But as Middle Sister says..they have a big enough audience that we need to be concerned..

Yeah, I think of that book every once in a while. Great book..scared the shit out of me, though.

Carin March 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm

The thing that scares me, is they try to cover the really bad stuff with abolishing abortion and acting as if that’s the only topic the bill is about. Then pro-life men and women will get behind it. aka Personhood bill. But what they didn’t read is that it also abolishes all types of birth control (making sex for procreation only) and also can criminalize a woman if she miscarries.

Women will not be able to grieve properly for the loss of the child and will instantly have to try to defend she did nothing wrong. Aside from laying in bed your entire pregnancy, I can’t see how they cannot find something to say the woman did wrong.