Tattoo Diabetes

by Michelle on May 4, 2011

My caintuck must have been showing when I told Randy I wanted to write about type 2 diabetes. He thought I said I wanted to write about tattoo diabetes.

It’s a good thing you can’t get diabetes from tattoos, or I might be in just a little trouble. I only have a few, but still.

The truth is, I skated RIGHT up to type 2 diabetes. I skated right up to gestational diabetes with my second son and was told then that I should probably be careful, that I was more likely to develop type 2 diabetes.

My numbers hit just a hair below a diagnosis of diabetes.

It was still almost two years before I actually got off my ass to do anything about it.

I’m writing about this because I have two people whom I love very VERY much who have gone past skating up to type 2 diabetes and dove right in. You know who you are. One is young and one, well, she is  younger than me..but she is no Spring chicken.

To the young one I say this: You are so beautiful and funny and sweet and I adore you. You will make the most beautiful babies. And when you do? They are going to need a  healthy mommy. Please make sure they get one.

To the old one: I KNOW you’ve been working at it. Don’t fucking stop. Because you have a lot of years left in you and I am NOT going to take care of your dumb ass just because you want to drink soda. Cut it out. I love you.

To the rest of you out there who either are already dealing with type 2 diabetes or who are in danger of developing this disease: You can’t fuck around with this.

You just can’t.

tina May 5, 2011 at 8:08 am

Great post! Not only that but it really is relatively easy to control with diet and exercise. I was considered prediabetic pre-pregnancy with high potential to develop gestational diabetes. I’ve been managing it by controlling the amount and quality of my carbs and always pairing them with healthy fats and proteins for satiety. Toss in a little exercise (these days, not much more than walking) and it’s amazing how your blood sugar levels out. My uncle was an insulin dependent diabetic until he was able to control his diet and exercise enough to go off insulin.

ragemichelle May 5, 2011 at 11:00 am

Thanks for that! And yes, it is fixable. I know it’s not easy to make those changes, and it’s not always easy to stick with them.

However, that is NOT going to stop me from nagging the people I love. Or really, people in general.

Suzanne @WorkoutNirvana May 5, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I don’t know anything about diabetes, type 2 or otherwise. I’m lucky it hasn’t affected myself or my family – and glad you are ok. I DO know that your feet rock, and I’m jealous as hell of that beautiful tattoo (orange being my fav color and all).

ragemichelle May 10, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Thanks, Suzanne..it’s definitely my favorite tattoo.

@runfromthecouch May 10, 2011 at 11:44 am

I will admit that I have not been tested and I am afraid that I have it. I love the courage and fearlessness you display here!

ragemichelle May 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Please get tested.

I understand the fear, but you can DO something about it and make it better.

Just go. It’s a simple test. And no matter how bad it is, you can work towards getting healthier.

Don’t make me nag.

Or better yet, do. I LOVE to nag. :)

Rizzle May 13, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Love this! I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistant Pre-Type 2 Diabetes about 3 years ago. A week later I walked into my first Weight Watchers Meeting. I have been a Lifetime member for 10 months now, and am officially Diabetes free! I still am “at risk” though if I were to ever gain the weight back! Diabetes is no laughing matter and I wish people would realize that! (Well, I guess if you don’t like your feet…or want to be blind….or dead…than it *could* be a lauging matter…but that is just stupid.)

Michelle May 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm

It is a very serious matter. I’ve been thinking about this one for a long time, but held back because I didn’t want to upset the two people that I referenced. Then I thought, fuck it. They need to keep hearing it.